Scrapped B.C. HST Means Consumer Savings!
Range of consumer items:
Some of the items that consumers can expect — in 18 months — to once again be PST-exempt include:
- New homes over $525,000.
- Real estate fees.
- Moving services.
- Home renovations and landscaping.
- Purchase or lease of a fuel efficient vehicle.
- Restaurant meals and snack foods.
- Domestic flights, coach bus, rail and taxi.
- Sporting events, movie tickets, gym memberships, concerts, camping sites
- Beauty salon services.
- Over-the-counter medications.
- School supplies.
- Wedding expenses.
- Telephone and TV service.
Critics of the PST point out that there may not be any real long-term savings under the PST system, because it will provide less government revenue and lead to an increased provincial deficit, which theoretically will have to be paid for eventually with tax dollars.